Thursday, May 15, 2014

I Refuse

A few weeks ago I was exploring Google Earth with my son. We were exploring the path of the voyage of Kon-Tiki, a raft of scientists who left from Peru, trying to prove inhabitants of South America travelled to Polynesia on a raft. During this exploration, I became fascinated about the shapes and designs of the isolated islands in the Pacific. I stumbled on a cluster of islands called the Kingdom of Tonga. As clicking on the images available I became more and more fascinated about this region, its untouched beauty, and also the hardship that the citizens endure every day. I learned that Ha’apai Island group was devastated by Cyclone Ian this last January. I learned that although surrounded by oceans of water, these island's inhabitants often live in a drought condition because they have no access to fresh water other than rain catchment. I learned that many Tongans rely on moneys sent from family members abroad because they cannot afford to pay their bills. I learned that the Seventh Day Adventist school in Neiafu, of the Vava’u group of islands of northern Tonga is short a few teachers because of a shortage of salary funds.

All of this learning put me to thinking, and I have not been able to quit thinking since that day. I can’t get it out of my mind that I sit here in America thinking I’m poor when our household brings in over 5 times the average Tongan household. It gives you an appreciation for the things you have, no matter how great or small.

Also during my exploration, I discovered an American man who took his family to Tonga. This family gave up the comforts of home because of a calling to do God’s work. He had a dream of building a skate park and recreation center on each main islands, giving young people a safe place to play and learn. His dream is to witness through this skill that he has, and he has already begun to do so. They home-school their three children. Here is a link to his wife’s blog, so you too can watch as their adventure unfolds. The Adventures of Tonga Man

This family’s story got me to thinking again. Surely there is something I could do too. As a teenager I went on a mission trip to Belize to build a church with other Texas youth. Since then I’ve always had a burning desire to return to the mission field. A few years back I took a job teaching English in one of the SDA schools in S Korea. 90% of all the students were not Christian, but Buddhist, so although we were paid, we were considered missionaries by many. This was not enough though. In my mind, to be a REAL missionary, one must not seek compensation for spreading God’s message. The S Koreans had enough money to pay for the teachers, but that was just not what I had in mind.

Because of my preconception of what a missionary should be, I decided that perhaps I could offer my services in Neiafu to the Mizpah Mission School. I also had in mind that I could assist with their local Pathfinders Club, or help to establish one. Also because of my ACS Disaster Response training, perhaps I could be of assistance in disaster response and preparedness.

So I set the ball rolling. I’ve spoken with the Mizpah principal, who is exploring how to obtain accommodations for me. Since I will be working for free while my wife and kids are still home in Texas, I will not have a lot of my own money to live off of. This is where the conversation ended. The principal said that while they are excited that I have an interest in their school, even financing accommodations might be difficult. So I’m thinking I will need to find assistance elsewhere. The school is hoping that if I can come, I could bring my son with me. If their school is compatible with his needs, he would attend school where I taught. Otherwise he would be home-schooling independently, with my help in the evenings. I think this would be a tremendous opportunity for him. He is a young man now, and his life would be greatly enhanced by exposure to missionary work as well as exploration of other regions of our vast planet. This would also keep me closer to my family, although it would now also be separating both of us from Carolyn and Alex.

As far as Pathfinders and ACS/ADRA are concerned, messages have been sent to both. I have had no response from ADRA as of yet, but must be patient as we are dealing with two different time zones. I contacted the Director of Youth Ministry for the Trans Pacific Union, who has forwarded my message to the Youth Director for the Tonga Mission. I pray that my services will be found of value to these two organizations as well.

What I’m needing now from my friends and family is your prayers. Prayer that I will be everything the Lord expects me to be when in His service. Prayer that if this plan is carried out, that our family remains strong in absence from each other. Prayer that everything we do has a positive impact on this region. Prayer for safe travels, and protection from the natural disasters that this region is prone to. Prayer that if this is in fact the Lords will, that funding would be made available to afford airfare of about $3,000-$4,000 (one round trip for both my son and myself) and about $500 per month for living expenses. Please pray daily with me that these needs can be met, and that if it’s His will, that he will use me in this region that needs help so tremendously.

That makes roughly $9,000-$10,000 that I have no idea where to find. I trust that our great Lord has a plan, and will make this happen in His time. I have create a donation button for anyone who is willing to make a monthly pledge or even a one-time donation of money or supplies. Unless requested otherwise by the one making the contribution, any funds raised beyond the necessary expenses for this trip will be used to buy items for the school, buy equipment for the local Pathfinders club, and buy equipment and supplies for disaster response. I also have a large collection of books and vintage vinyl records that I will be selling both locally and online in attempt to cover these expenses. Tony's Vintage Vinyl

I will try to keep everyone informed as to how this pans out. If budget and time allows, I may also be preparing a pod of supplies for shipment, containing first aid supplies, used clothing, building tools, generators, water purification systems and other essentials for disaster response. I may also try to put together some books and supplies for the school, and for Pathfinders.

This song has certainly played a part in my inspiration. While listening to it today on my favorite radio station, 94.9 - KLTY, I realized that it pretty much sums up my thoughts right now.


"Josh Wilson - I Refuse"

Sometimes I, I just wanna close my eyes
And act like everyone's alright
well no they're not
This world needs God, but it's easier to stand and watch
I could say a prayer and just move on
like nothin's wrong
But I refuse
cause I don't wanna live like I don't care
I don't wanna say another empty prayer
Oh I refuse, to sit around and wait for someone else
To do what God has called me to do myself
Oh I could choose not to move
but I refuse
I can hear the least of these
cryin' out so desperately
and I know we are the hands and feet of You oh God
So if You say move
it's time for me to follow through
and do what I was made to do
and show them who You are
Cause I don't wanna live like I don't care
I don't wanna say another empty prayer
Oh I refuse to sit around
and wait for someone else
to do what God has called me to do myself
Oh I could choose
not to move
but I refuse
to stand and watch the weary and lost
cry out for help
I refuse
to turn my back
and try and act like all is well
I refuse
to stay unchanged
to wait another day
to die to myself
I refuse
to make one more excuse
cause I don't wanna live like I don't care
I don't wanna say another empty prayer
Oh I refuse
to sit around and wait for someone else
to do what God has called me to do myself
oh I could choose
not to move
but I refuse
I refuse
I refuse
yeah

No comments:

Post a Comment